Become a Leader
La Leche League was founded to give information and encouragement through personal help, to all families who want to nourish their babies with human milk. We recognize the unique importance of one parent helping another, sharing stories and supporting families in their community.
Becoming a LLL Leader
Please read the information on this page to see if you meet the LLLI Prerequisites for Applying for Leadership, and to learn about what La Leche League Australia (LLLA) believes and the responsibilities of a LLL Leader.
Before you apply to become a LLL Leader, you will need to have read both The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and Sweet Sleep and have an in-depth discussion with a current Leader about the prerequisites, LLL philosophy, Leader responsibilities and the work required during the application period. If you are both in agreement to move forward, the Leader will write a recommendation and you will fill out the application form and pay the Leader application fee.
Are you already attending LLL Series Meetings? If so, keep attending! Becoming involved with your LLLA community is a big part of growing as a Leader.
Is there a LLL Group near you? (Click here to find your local Group). If yes, start attending meetings to learn what LLLA Leaders do and how they support nursing parents. If you decide that you’d like to learn more and move forward with an application talk with one of the Group Leaders, who can share more details about leadership, and help you decide if leadership is right for you.
What if there’s no LLL Group nearby? You can still apply to become a LLL Leader. If you live in an area with no LLL Group or Leader, contact a La Leche League Leader closest to your area and they will answer your questions and have a pre-application discussion with you.
Applying for Leadership
The prerequisites to applying are:
Personal Breastfeeding Experience
• values nursing at the breast as the optimal way to nourish, nurture and comfort a baby
• understands that parenting through nursing includes recognizing the baby’s cues, being sensitivite and responsive to the baby’s needs, whether for comfort or nutrition
• demonstrates understanding of, respect for, and responsiveness to the baby’s needs when they are together
• may maximize responsiveness to the baby by engaging in baby-wearing, safe bed-sharing or co-sleeping, and other gentle parenting behaviors. However, these are not requirements to be met but simply possible examples of responsive mothering.
A potential Applicant
• is a member of LLL
• supports La Leche League (LLL) purpose, mission and philosophy
• has attended at least one series of meetings (where available) and has demonstrated a commitment to LLL Australia through ongoing involvement within the community.
• has read and is familiar with the contents of the most recent edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (if available in an accessible language), Sweet sleep and is aware that this is a primary source of breastfeeding/ chestfeeding/ nursing information and philosophy for LLL Leaders
• has a recommendation from an LLL Leader
A potential Applicant
• has sufficient command of language, either written or oral, to complete the application and preparation for accreditation and to fulfill the responsibilities of LLL leadership
• has an accepting, inclusive and respectful attitude toward others
• exhibits warmth and empathy towards others
• demonstrates or is willing to develop effective, empowering communication skills
Responsibilities of an LLL Leader
• Helps families one-to-one in meetings and during home visits, by telephone or skype as well as social media platforms and email.
• Plans and leads monthly Series Meetings
• Supervises the management of the Group, including finances, Group workers, Group Library, and materials for sale; reports monthly about thier LLL activities
• Keeps up to date on all important breastfeeding/ chestfeeding and human milk information, taking advantage of LLL‘s opportunities for continuing education through publications, meetings, correspondence, and the network of resource Leaders
• Takes an active role in helping others find out about leadership and helps them prepare to become LLL Leaders
Where there is more than one Leader in a Group, the duties are shared
We look forward to hearing from you!